Torlys Cork Flooring
Florence Burl Natural
Genova Black Plank
Manhattan Spalted Maple
EverWood Beach House
Since solid hardwood is vulnerable to moisture, engineered hardwood can be used below grade as well as in bathrooms and over concrete. This type of wood is more dimensionally stable than solid wood, and can be stained or painted in countless ways. If you are remodeling a home or office in or around Toronto, The Floor Shop is your best choice for wood flooring and stairs.
Engineered wood has come a long way since its invention in the 1960s. It has improved a great deal in terms of performance and appearance. There are dozens of wood species available today, with various finishes and high-tech surface effects such as hand scraping. You have many styles to choose from, ranging from country-cottage to modern.
What is it?
This product consists of 3-10 play layers that are cross layered and pressed together. The top layer is a thick hardwood veneer that is glued and pressed on top of the core surface. Plywood is a common material used in the construction of the core. Engineered wood is able to withstand moisture, which makes it a superior type of flooring to solid hardwood in areas of the home prone to moisture. Its multiple-ply plank design allows for it to counteract twisting, thus keeping it stable and flat.
There are many advantages of engineered hardwood over other types of flooring:
- Sustainability – This is a very sustainable option – especially if you are considering an exotic wood. Depending on the material, the sub-layers can be sustainable as well.
- Wider planks – Due to the more stable nature of engineered hardwood you can order specs up to 10” wide.
- Better heat transfer – Heat is transferred better with the thinner engineer boards when compared to the thick solid hardwood boards.
- A wide range of installation options – you can have engineered hardwood planks installed below, at, and above grade. Depending on the manufacture and construction type, floating, glue down, or nail down methods of installation can be used.
- Installation over concrete slab – Just as long as the amount of moisture in the concrete does not exceed 4%, engineered wood flooring can be installed over it. Floating boards are usually recommended for this type of project.
- An eco-friendly solution – Investing in this type of flooring helps conserve forests, since the amount of prized wood required is considerably less than what solid wood floorboards require.
- Installation over various flat surfaces – As long as the surface is hard, flat and well-secured, engineered hardwood can be installed over top of it. If there is carpet, it must be removed first.
Choosing the Right One
One of the most important considerations is the composition of the flooring. Is the plywood low quality or high quality? The layers remain bonded together with harder, higher quality plywood. When low-grade softwood plywood is used, there is a greater chance for de-lamination. The engineered flooring offered by The Floor Shop is always of the highest quality.
Common size profiles of the planks include 3-7 inches in width and 3/8 to ¾ inches in thickness. There is also a custom milled option, with a variety of top coast sheens and surface textures to choose from. Both domestic and exotic species are available.